Tamtero is a type of hormone (endocrine) therapy used to treat breast cancer in both pre-menopausal women (women who have not yet gone through the menopause) and post-menopausal women. It can also be taken by men who have breast cancer.
INDICATION OF TAMTERO
Tamtero is indicated for the treatment of early breast cancer in women whose been already treated with surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy.
Tamtero may also be used to treat local recurrence or locally advanced breast cancer (known as regional recurrence). It may also be used if you’ve been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer.
Tamtero will prevent the risk of developing a more severe type of breast cancer in women who had breast cancer that will not spread outer part of the milk duct where it form ( ductal carcinoma).
Hormone receptor-positive breast cancers need estrogen and/or progesterone (female hormones produced in the body) to grow.
Tamoxifen attaches to the hormone receptor in the cancer cell, blocking estrogen from attaching to the receptor.
This slows or stops the growth of the tumour by preventing the cancer cells from getting the hormones they need to grow.
DOSAGE & ADMINISTRATION of Tamtero
Regular adult dose is 20 to 40mg for 5 years daily administer orally for breast cancer doses is > 20mg given by dividing dose (morning and evening)
20mg 5 years daily given orally for DCIS followed by surgery and radiation on breast
For 5 years administer 20mg daily taken orally to decrease the action of breast cancer in women at increased risk for breast cancer 20mg OD orally or 10mg twice daily orally given for adult dose for adjuvant breast cancer and Duration: 5 years
Pediatric dose for girls 2 to 10 years is 20mg once daily via oral route; duration up to 12 months administrated for McCune- Albright syndrome 20mg once daily via oral route; duration up to 12 months given for Precocious Puberty
Acute overdose is not considered in humans, in animals If administer heavy dose then leads in respiratory difficulties and convulsions and in human unsteady gait, acute neurotoxicity manifested by tremor, hyperreflexia, and vertigo was reported. There is no specific treatment for overdose. Hence provide the patients by symptomatic supportive measures.
Common Side Effect
Increased Tumor Or Bone Pain Hot Flashes Nausea Fatigue Mood Swings Depression Headache Hair Thinning Constipation Dry Skin Loss of Libido
Serious side effects may be as follows, immediately inform the doctor
Abscess on the, throat, face, lips, eyes, tongue, ,ankles or lower legs Thirst muscle weakness restlessness loss of appetite Vision difficulty Fever Blisters
WARNING & PRECAUTIONS
- Consult with the doctor or pharmacist as if you have allergic condition against Tamtero or any of the compound in Tamoxifen tablets.
- Consult with the doctor that you have or have ever had renal, hepatic, or cardiac problem
- Consult with the doctor that are you pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Do not have plan for children while on treatment with Tamtero. You must use a specific method of conceiving to prevent pregnancy in yourself or your partner during your treatment with Tamtero the drug will harm the fetus.
- Avoid breast feeding while on treatment with Tamtero
- Use drug with caution due to early breast cancer signs hence during treatment with tamoxifen aware about development of breast cancer.
Some important precautions should take care
- Some breast cancer patients may have reported from hypercalcemia by starting few weeks treatment, if the condition occur and became severe then tamoxifen should discontinue.
- An incidence may increase with uterine malignancies and endometrial carcinoma is resulted with tamoxifen treatment.
- Due to estrogen properties of tamoxifen, an increased incidence of endometrial changes occurs involves like hyperplasia and polyps has been resulted. Hence the drug causes menstrual irregularity or amenorrhea.
- Interaction with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors(SSRIs) antidepressant, paroxetine will decrease the effectiveness of tamoxifen
- While interaction of Tamtero with coumarin type anticoagulants combination will leads to increase in anticoagulant effects may occur.
- Concomitant use of Bromocriptine with Tamtero will increase the serum level of Tamtero and N-desmethyl tamoxifen.